970616: building netCDF on an HP-UX <something>

Bill,

In the above message, you wrote:

> I did some investigating into the C++ in the HP 9000/700 and found the
> ReleaseNotes file, under Known Limitations said:
>
> "When using the Task Library, you must not compile your application sources
> with the -O flag. Instead, use the +O1 flag to get a smaller subset of
> optimizations. It is necessary to disable some optimizations for the task
> library to work properly."
>
> So I used  CFLAGS='-Aa +O1' instead of your direction CFLAGS='-Aa -O'.

Ok.

> The libsrc/Makefile didn't contain any refrence to CFLAGS. See below:

Shoot!  I forgot that the CFLAGS macro is actually in the file
"macros.make" in the top-level source directory.  What is it there?

> I am not sure I am redirecting the Configure script or the make output
> properly
> I'm using:
>
>  ./configure > conf.doc
>
>  make > make.doc
>
> They appear to work except for the Warning about not finding Fortran, during
> the configure doesn't get saved in the conf.doc file. Apparently there must
> be something else I should be doing.

The exact syntax for redirecting both standard output and standard error
depends on your shell, e.g.

    For a csh(1)-like shell:

        make >&! make.doc

    For an sh(1)-like shell:

        make >make.doc 2>&1

See the manual page on your shell for more information.

> Also the ftp refrence to the .gz file, what do you do to uncompress it. It
> isn't an option in the compress manual.
>
>     ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/gcc-2.7.2.2.tar.gz

See the information at the top of the above URL for information on the
GNU gzip(1) program, which is used to unzip a *.gz file.

--------