970616: building netCDF on an HP-UX <something>

Bill,

In the above message, you wrote:

>  I guess the switch wasn't enough. The make results are as before:
> --------------------------------
>
> Making `all' in directory /exthd/ftp/pub/gmt/netcdf-3.3/src/libsrc
>
>         cc -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG attr.c
> cc: "/usr/include/stddef.h", line 26: error 1642: Duplicate type specifier
> "int"
> : ignored.

The above compilation line doesn't have the '-Aa' option.  This means
that, somehow, that option wasn't incorporated into libsrc/Makefile.  I
don't see how this could have occurred.

Please try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Execute the command "make clean".

    3.  Remove the file "config.cache" if it exists.

    4.  Set the following environment variables to their indicated
        values.

        CPPFLAGS='-DNDEBUG -D_HPUX_SOURCE'
        CC=cc
        CFLAGS='-Aa -O'
        FC=
        CXX=CC

    5.  Execute the configure script.
        Redirect standard output and standard error to a file.
        If an error occurs, stop and send me the file.

    6.  Look at the file libsrc/Makefile.  Verify that the CFLAGS macro
        contains the option "-Aa".  If it doesn't, then stop, notify
        me, and send me the above file.

    7.  Execute the command "make".
        Redirect standard output and standard error to a file.
        If an error occurs, stop and send me the file.

    8.  Execute the command "make test".
        Redirect standard output and standard error to a file.
        If an error occurs, stop and send me the file.

>  Thanks for your help. If I need the GNU C do you have a ftp address and
> does it come with install instructions?

You shouldn't need the GNU C compiler if we can get the CFLAGS makefile
macro to contain the string "-Aa" but, yes, the GNU C package comes with
complete instructions.  It's available at the following URL

    ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/gcc-2.7.2.2.tar.gz

--------