(Fwd) Re: MFHDF - netcdf-3 api

From: "Glenn P. Davis" <address@hidden>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 10:37:36 -0600
To: Arlindo da Silva <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: MFHDF - netcdf-3 api

> What do you mean my a "demo"?
> Can the version 3 API detect HDF and
> make the appropriate calls?

In November, I went to NCSA to discuss netCDF/HDF futures.
Recall that NCSA did the previous (MFHDF) implementation, so
they had more experience in bridging than we do. I say "had",
because the guy that did the work is no longer there.
Since I didn't know much about HDF, I spent a few weeks
implementing this read-only version _from the specs_. It
does not depend on any HDF code. There is simply a module
that knows how to get the info necessary to read the data
from the HDF file.

> It would be lovely if we could read HDF
> in addition to XDR files with the Unidata library. Since "they" can
> read XDR, we will be able to read and write "hdf" compliant files.
> I, speaking for myself not NASA, much rather stick with your library.

One thing I found out is that full compatibility with HDF
in clean room way is tricky because what constitutes the set of
legal "HDF formatted netCDF data sets" is not clearly defined/documented.

> Where can I find out more about this demo?

It is not currently in a releasable state.
It would probably take me a month to get it to a releaseable state,
remaining read-only. For us, it is not a high priority at present.
If someone were interested in funding or doing this work, we would
be happy to explore some cooperative agreement.

-glenn