Re: who has experience with netCDF 3.3 on cray t3e ? address@hidden, address@hidden

>To: address@hidden,
>To: Carlie Coats <address@hidden>
>cc: address@hidden,
>cc: address@hidden
>From: address@hidden (Mark Reed)
>Subject: Re: who has experience with netCDF 3.3 on cray t3e ?
>
> The problem on the T3D/T3E is exactly as you stated. The default floating
> point size is 4 bytes (32 bits) for C and 8 bytes (64 bits) for Fortran. To
> get around this problem, Atanas Trayanov and myself have written some very
> simple ncvg wrapper routines to allow netcdf to work fairly seamlessly. In
> addition, there is some preprocessing done on the files. If you are
interested
> in this, just contact Atanas (address@hidden) or myself (address@hidden)
and
> we will be glad to share this with you. I should point out that our work was
> done for the T3D, before the f90 compiler was available. The f90 compiler
will
> allow either 32 or 64 bit reals. The default is 64 (unless you specify
> real*4).

Thanks for the offer.
I'm hoping we will just fix cfortran.h to do
the right thing with the default compilation.
It seems like most CRAY fortran codes are going
to want to use REAL and think that it is 64bit.

I'm not a Cray expert particularly.
I'm wondering whether you or someone there would be willing to
work with Burkhard Burow <address@hidden> to get cfortran.h
working on the t3e (and remain working on other Cray systems :-)).
Since it's not my main gig and I have to log in remotely to a system
in Maryland (gfdl) to test things, progress is slow.

Thanks

-glenn