970527: MS-DOS support for netCDF

Cyril,

In the above message, you wrote:

> To: address@hidden
> From: address@hidden
> Subject: MS-DOS support for netCDF

> Hi,
>
> I've been beating my head against the wall for a week now trying to
> successfully install and compile the netCDF libraries under MS-DOS and am
> having no success.
>
> I downloaded the djgpp shareware and it's test programs work properly so I
> assume that it is properly installed.  I couldn't find any references to a
> gmake program within djgpp, so I looked around on the djgpp ftp sites and
> found a make program.
>
> It doesn't seem to like the djgpp*.mak files, and gives me a 'no target'
> error when I try to run them.  Incidentally, i had to write a program to
> convert all your text files to DOS for them to be recognized (changed the
> '\r' character to a '\r\n' sequence.
>
> has anyone had success with this platform?

We've successfully built the netCDF 2.4.3 package using the djgpp
package and the GNU make(1) utility.

You are referring to the netCDF 2.4.3 package, right?

> The documentation for djgpp
> system doesn't seem to have much information to help.  Can you point me to
> any users that have had success, or is there someone at unidata that I could
> talk to for some pointers.

You may talk to me, though I'm not sure how much help I'll be (I'm not
an MS-DOS expert).

> I tried porting the source code over to Visual C++, but there is some
> assembler code in there as well, which I can't compile in Visual C.

To what assembler code are you referring?  As far as I know, there is no
assembler code required in the MS-DOS port.

An alternative would be to obtain the netCDF 3.3 package from the
following URL

    ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-3.3.tar.Z

and try to build it under MS-DOS.  This package has no ssembler code and
acontains its own XDR-equivalent layer.  There's no MS-DOS "makefile"
for it, so you'd have to compile and link the files manually --
following the sequences given in the UNIX makefiles.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>