961212: Darin Ernst's ftest problem

George,

In the above message you wrote:

> I checked out your support corrrespondence (from Darin Ernst) and
> I am now very pleased to find the origin of this "known problem."
>
> I am surprised Darin didn't come to me with this problem -- or maybe
> he did and I let it fall through the cracks.  I do remember working
> with Darin to help him set up pfc, the PROMULA FORTRAN-to-C-translator,
> so that it would work just like a FORTRAN compiler within his long and
> complicated UNIX scripts for making a large number of FORTRAN to C
> translations/compilations.  I thought when we stopped working together
> he had finished his project and had no outstanding issues regarding
> pfc.
>
> At any rate, I am in the process of downloading netcdf from your
> ftp site right now and I hope to get to the bottom of this ftest
> problem.
>
> I hope I can count on you to help me customize the netcdf "make"
> file so that it works with pfc (to do the FORTRAN compilations
> and whatever C compiler we need to use for the back-end C
> compilations) -- especially since ftest is not a stand-alone
> test.  Is this actually true? Do we really need to test ftest
> in the context of the entire netcdf framework?

In order to test the program `ftest.f' you will need to build the netCDF
package.  The program makes use of the netCDF library; thus, building
the program requires the library.

On the other hand, if the problem lies with the BLOCK DATA statements,
then, perhaps, just perusing the output of the FORTRAN-to-C converter
might suffice.  You know more about that than I do.

> Perhaps in the course of this I will learn what netcdf is and for
> what it is used.
>
> What platform should I use to make and run netcdf (UNIX, Windows 95/NT,
> etc.)?

I suggest a UNIX system.  As I recall, the problem was encountered on a
Linux system.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>