961212: Errors with xdrtest

Paul,

> Date:    Thu, 12 Dec 1996 16:06:23 -0500
> From:    "Paul Kucera" <address@hidden>
> To:      Russ Rew <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: 961212: Errors with xdrtest

> >Before trying the above, you might first make sure xdrtest.o was not
> >built with the "-fpic" flag, by invoking
> >
> >  gcc -c -O -I/usr/include/rpc -DNO_STRERROR xdrtest.c
> >
> >then
> >
> >  gcc -o xdrtest -O xdrtest.o
> >
> >If you still get the above message, I'm not sure what to suggest.
>
> The above suggestion worked. What is the next step?  Do I need to modify some
> of the files and recompile netcdf?

Do the following steps in order to build a position dependent version of
the netCDF package:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Execute the command `make distclean'.

    3.  Set the variable CPICOPT to the empty string.  Do this either in
        the environment or in the file CUSTOMIZE.

    4.  Execute the `configure' script in the same manner as before.

    5.  Execute the command `make all'.

    6.  Continue where you left off.

Because it is position dependent, you will not be able to use this
version of the library to build the netCDF perl extension module.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>