Re: 961212: Errors with xdrtest

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Paul Kucera" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Errors with xdrtest

Paul,

> It looks like this is a tough one.  I tried what you suggested and came up
> with
> the following error:
>
> >From trying:
> gcc -o xdrtest -O xdrtest.o
>
> I received the following output:
> ld: /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-sunos4.1/2.4.5/libgcc.a(__.SYMDEF): no of
> reloc used 30 != no alloc 28
> collect: ld returned 4 exit status
>
> If there is any more information about the workstation that I can provide you
> to help solve this problem, please let me know.

Before trying the above, you might first make sure xdrtest.o was not
built with the "-fpic" flag, by invoking

  gcc -c -O -I/usr/include/rpc -DNO_STRERROR xdrtest.c

then

  gcc -o xdrtest -O xdrtest.o

If you still get the above message, I'm not sure what to suggest.

Since the complaint in the error message is about libgcc.a, it's
possible that file is corrupted or built wrong.

On our SunOS 4.1.4 system with gcc 2.7.2, the above works fine, either
with or without "-fpic".