Re: 961212: Errors when testing netcdf

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Paul Kucera" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Errors when testing netcdf

Paul,

> I tried everything you suggested below.  I still receive the same error when
> running 'make test'.  I'm not sure what I should try next.  Any suggestions?
>  If you need anymore information from this end, please let me know
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
>
> >Try this:
> >
> >  1. From the top-level netcdf/src/ directory, run
> >
> >        make clean
> >
> >  2. To prevent the configure script from using old cached information,
> >     run
> >
> >       rm config.cache
> >
> >  3. Rerun the "configure" script with whatever other arguments you used
> >     before (e.g. --prefix=...).  It should use your changed CUSTOMIZE
> >     file and generate Makefiles that won't try to make the C++
> >     interface.
> >
> >  4. Run "make all", "make test", and if that works "make install".
>

> Error message from 'make test':
> making `test' in directory /usr/local/netcdf-2.4.3/src/xdr
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/netcdf-2.4.3/src/xdr'
> gcc -c -fpic -O -I/usr/include/rpc   -DNO_STRERROR xdrtest.c
> gcc -o xdrtest -fpic -O xdrtest.o
> ld: /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-sunos4.1/2.4.5/libgcc.a(__.SYMDEF): no of
> reloc used 30 != no alloc 28
> collect: ld returned 4 exit status
> make[1]: *** [xdrtest] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/netcdf-2.4.3/src/xdr'
> make: *** [xdr/test] Error 1

[This is on a SunOS 4.1.3 system.]

I can't duplicate the problem here, probably because we have a different
version of SunOS (4.1.4) and perhaps a different version of gcc
installed on it (2.7.2), but it may be that the "-fpic" flag is causing
the problem, because the netCDF objects are made with "-fpic" but the
gcc libraries such as libgcc.a aren't.

To test if this is the case, try invoking the link line that fails from
inside the /usr/local/netcdf-2.4.3/src/xdr/ directory, but *without* the
"-fpic" option:

   gcc -o xdrtest -O xdrtest.o

If this works, then that's the answer.  I then have to figure out how
to get the "configure" script to not add the "-fpic" option to gcc,
which I'll do if you confirm this as the problem.

It's strange that "ncdump", "ncgen", and "nctest" programs were
apparently linked with no problems during the "make all", even though
the same problem should have been encountered with them as with
"xdrtest".