Re: 960503: netcdf-2.4.2 and IRIX 6.2 compile problem...

Hi Mike,

> Hi..  I can't get netcdf to compile on a Power Challenge R10000 running
> IRIX 6.2.  It does compile on IRIX 5.3 on an Indy, so it must be a OS
> problem, or C or maybe because the R10000/ IRIX 6.2 is 64 bit?  Thanks.

> checking XDR library for xdr_getint()... yes

The above is the problem. The configure script should get "no" for this,
because SGI appears to have removed this function from a structure between
IRIX 6.1 and 6.2.

>         c89 -c -O  xdrposix.c
> cfe: Error: xdrposix.c, line 312: 'x_getint' undefined; reoccurrences will
> not b
> e reported.
>             xdrposix_ops.x_getint = xdrposix_getint;
>         ----------------^

Try the following workaround and please let me know if it works:

  1. Delete the following lines from the "configure" script:

        irix64)
            echo "$ac_t""yes" 1>&6
            HAS_XDR_GETINT=1;;

  2. Run "make clean"

  3. Run the "configure" script with whatever arguments you used before

  4. Run "make all", then "make test", then optionally "make install".

The "fixed" configure script will no longer work for IRIX 6.1, so if you
need to build the package on that OS, you should save the old version.

--Russ

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu