Re: 960506: netCDF under IRIX 6.2?

Mary,

> > Try the following workaround and please let me know if it works:
> >
> >   1. Delete the following lines from the "configure" script:
> >
> >     irix64)
> >         echo "$ac_t""yes" 1>&6
> >         HAS_XDR_GETINT=1;;
> >
> >   2. Run "make clean"
> >
> >   3. Run the "configure" script with whatever arguments you used before
> >
> >   4. Run "make all", then "make test", then optionally "make install".
> >
> > The "fixed" configure script will no longer work for IRIX 6.1, so if you
> > need to build the package on that OS, you should save the old version.
> >

> Hi Russ,
>
> I removed the three lines, ran "./configure", and here's
> the message I got:
>
> cycad[125] ./configure
> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking for catman... no
> checking for fill-value usage... new usage
> checking the installation prefix... /data/cycad5/haley/netcdf-2.4.2
> checking the installation exec-prefix... /data/cycad5/haley/netcdf-2.4.2
> checking for c89... c89
> checking type of operating system... irix64
> checking type of machine... ip21
> checking for ranlib... :
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... /lib/cpp
> checking the C preprocessor... works
> checking for f77... f77
> checking for CC... no
> checking for CC... no
> checking for cxx... no
> checking for c++... c++
> checking for yacc... yacc
> checking for neqn... neqn
> checking for tbl... tbl
> checking for ar... ar
> checking for makeinfo... no
> checking for tar flags... -chof
> checking for dependency generation mechanism... c89 -M
> checking whether cross-compiling... yes
> checking size of int... configure: error: can not run test program while
> cross compiling
> cycad[126]
>
> Any ideas?  I had just untarred the 2.4.2 version of netCDF, and
> didn't make any changes to it, except to remove the 3
> lines from "configure".

It appears that the "configure" script hasn't gotten to the point where you
deleted the three lines yet, and the output

    checking whether cross-compiling... yes

means it can't even compile and run a trivial program, which would indicate
some other basic problem.  Perhaps your editor did some sort of conversion
or added some extra characters to the "configure" script?

I have a report from the other IRIX 6.2 user that the change I suggested to
the "configure" script worked OK, except that he also had to delete the "*)"
from the following line in the configure script to get it to run.

A simpler change that also should work would be to just change the one line

            HAS_XDR_GETINT=1;;

            HAS_XDR_GETINT=0;;

in the configure script, and see if that works.

--Russ