Re: 960506: netCDF under IRIX 6.2?

Hi Mary,

> Have you or do you have plans to port netCDF to an SGI running
> IRIX 6.2?  I know you've ported it to IRIX 6.1, but I'm having
> trouble getting past the "./configure" stage on an IRIX 6.2 machine
> (I've got version 2.4.1 of netCDF).

We didn't know netCDF didn't build on IRIX 6.2 until last Friday afternoon,
when someone else reported a problem.  Currently we only have access to IRIX
6.1, and won't be able to upgrade to IRIX 6.2 until we get the OS upgrade
(from SCD?).

>From what was sent to us last Friday, it appears that SGI removed some
structure members from an XDR structure between IRIX 6.1 and 6.2, but our
configure script apparently doesn't figure this out.

Try the following workaround and please let me know if it works:

  1. Delete the following lines from the "configure" script:

        irix64)
            echo "$ac_t""yes" 1>&6
            HAS_XDR_GETINT=1;;

  2. Run "make clean"

  3. Run the "configure" script with whatever arguments you used before

  4. Run "make all", then "make test", then optionally "make install".

The "fixed" configure script will no longer work for IRIX 6.1, so if you
need to build the package on that OS, you should save the old version.

--Russ

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu