960417: trouble compiling netCDF

Marinna,

In the above message you wrote:

> Hello Steve,
> I may well take you up on your offer, but for now, while I wait for
> someone else to port PERL 5 to DOS so I can try to use the PERL
> extensions on DOS, I am trying to try it out on a UNIX
> box, one running OSF.  It won't compile.  I get the following:
> cd perl && perl Makefile.PL
> "WriteMakefile" is not exported by the ExtUtils::MakeMaker module at
> Makefile.PL line 2.
> This seems to be unrelated to the OSF problem listed at Unidata's web
> site.
> Any clues?

Yup.  The version of perl(1) that you have is too old.  You must have
version 5.001, patchlevel 1e, at least.  Here's our version:

    $ perl -v /dev/null

    This is perl, version 5.001

            Unofficial patchlevel 1e.

    Copyright 1987-1994, Larry Wall

    Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or
the
    GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5.0 source kit.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>