Re: 960417: Help Installing NETCFD

>From: Keith Lee <address@hidden>

Hi Keith,

>       I am current trying to install netcdf and keep coming up with an
> error when i execute the 'make all' command.  I've added the log file on
> the end of this email hoping that maybe you know what's wrong.
>
> - ----------------------------------------------
>

> making `all' in directory /usr/home/people/curator/GMT/netcdf-2.4.1/src/port
>

> returning to directory /usr/home/people/curator/GMT/netcdf-2.4.1/src
>

> making `all' in directory /usr/home/people/curator/GMT/netcdf-2.4.1/src/xdr
>

> returning to directory /usr/home/people/curator/GMT/netcdf-2.4.1/src
>

> making `all' in directory /usr/home/people/curator/GMT/netcdf-2.4.1/src/libsrc
>
> ar rcuv libnetcdf.a array.o attr.o cdf.o dim.o file.o iarray.o error.o
> globdef.o putget.o putgetg.o sharray.o string.o var.o  xdrposix.o
> ranlib libnetcdf.a
>
> returning to directory /usr/home/people/curator/GMT/netcdf-2.4.1/src
>

> making `all' in directory
> /usr/home/people/curator/GMT/netcdf-2.4.1/src/fortran
>
> make: don't know how to make freebsd.m4. Stop
> *** Error code 1

Evidently you set OS to "freebsd" before running the "configure" script,
either as an environment variable or by specifically assigning OS in the
CUSTOMIZE file.  The OS variable is only used in configuring the Fortran
interface, identifying the set of conventions used to call C functions from
FORTRAN.  The freebsd system probably uses the same conventions as SunOS (I
know Linux does, for example).

Just try using OS=sunos5 instead of OS=freebsd, after you "make clean" and
before rerunning the "configure" script (or you can just copy the
fortran/sunos5.m4 file to create a fortran/freebsd.m4 file).  If that
doesn't work, you can try one of the other values of OS corresponding to one
of the *.m4 files in the netcdf/fortran subdirectory:

    aix.m4 hpux9.m4 irix5.m4 irix64.m4 msoft32.m4 next.m4 osf1.m4 sunos4.m4
    sunos5.m4 ultrix.m4 unicos.m4 vax-ultrix.m4 vms.m4

If none of those work, it means freebsd has adopted some new conventions for
how C functions are called from Fortran, and to get the Fortran interface to
work you'll have to create a new fortran/freebsd.m4 file that encapsulates
those conventions.  This is easier than it sounds; it usually just involves
copying one of the existing .m4 files and using the comments in the file to
change the one or two lines to reflect what's different.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu