Re: 960417: netcdf installation

Oops, forgot to CC: support-netcdf on this reply ...

> >To: address@hidden
> >From: address@hidden (Mike Notaro)

Hi Mike,

>       Hello.  I have a question about the netcdf library.  I installed it
> and it apparently installed properly ( no errors ).  However, the
> directories 'include' and 'lib' were never created.  When I try running
> software that uses netcdf, it states that it can't find netcdf.h .
> There is a netcdf.h file in /libsrc but it doesn't accept it.  What seems
> to be wrong?

I assume you are installing from a recent source distribution, such as is in
netcdf.tar.Z from ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/.

When you say you installed netCDF, did you actually run "make install" after
running "make all" and "make test"?  The latter is necessary to copy the
necessary files to the proper include/, lib/, man/, and bin/ directories.

The instructions for installing netCDF that are in the INSTALL file at the
top level of the source directory include specifying a "--prefix=DIRECTORY"
option to the "configure" script before running "make" to specify where
things should be installed.  If you run "make install" from the top level of
the netCDF source directory, that's where it will look for include/, lib/,
... subdirectories in which to put things.  You can check after running
"make install" that there is an executable file named "ncgen" in the
$prefix/bin/ directory, for example.

If the "make install" fails, it may be because you don't have permission to
write in the directories you've specified with the "--prefix" option to the
"configure" script.

--Russ

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu