96418: netCDF library

>From: Jeremy S Pal <address@hidden>
>To: address@hidden

>Hi,
>
>I am trying to run an xyplot example (ng4ex xy06) that says:
>C                 This example requires that you have the netCDF
>C                 library built on your system!  It's available via
>C                 anonymous ftp to unidata.ucar.edu.
>
>I went to your ftp site and did not see an obvious place to look for netCDF.
>Where is it?

The source code is under pub/netcdf as netcdf.tar.Z

Alternatively, binary distributions can be obtained under:
pub/binary/(operating_system)/netcdfxxxxx.tar.Z

>I am not sure if netCDF loaded on my computer.
>Where should I look?

Where you install netcdf is up to your site, however /usr/local/netcdf
would be a good place. You will of course have to have the appropriate
path included on your f77 compile line.

>If I get the following message while running the example, does it mean I do no
>have netCDF?:
>congo:/usr/users/jpal/NCARG> ng4ex xy06f
>
>NCAR Graphics High Level Utility Fortran Example <xy06f>
>

>This example requires the netCDF library, -lnetcdf, to be
>loaded during the link phase.
>
>  Copying xy06f.f
>  Copying xy06.res
>
>Compiling and linking...
>f77 -O -o xy06f xy06f.f -L/usr/local/lib -I/usr/local/include -lnetcdf -lhlu -
> lncargC -lncarg -lncarg_gksC -lncarg_gks -lncarg_c -lX11 -lots -lfor -lm
>ld:
>Unresolved:
>ncopn_
>ncdid_
>ncdinq_
>ncinq_
>ncvid_
>ncvgtc_
>ncvgt1_
>ncclos_

These are the netcdf functions that will be in the netcdf.a library.

>fort: Severe: Failed while trying to link.
>Executing <xy06f>...
>
>./xy06f: Permission denied.
>
>Finished executing <xy06f>...
>

>Thank you very much,