960416: Bad test result under Ultrix

Charles,

In the above message, Charles wrote:

> > *> make test
> >
> > making `test' in directory /usr/users/packer/netc/src/xdr
> >
> > gcc -c -O -I/usr/include/rpc   -std -Dconst= xdrtest.c
> > gcc: unrecognized option `-std'
> > gcc -o xdrtest -O xdrtest.o xdr.o xdrfloat.o xdrstdio.o xdrarray.o
> > ./xdrtest > xdrtest_out.new
> > diff xdrtest_out.new testout.sav
> > *** XDR passes formatted test ***
> > cmp test.xdr test_xdr.sav
> > test.xdr test_xdr.sav differ: char 3477, line 1
> > *** XDR fails binary test ***
> > *** Error code 1

gcc(1) wouldn't understand the `-std' option: only the DEC C compiler
would.  The configure script in the released package will add that
option to CFLAGS if and only if the C compiler is `cc' (it isn't) and
the CPU is a VAX (possible).  I suspect that something else is afoot,
e.g. the variable CFLAGS is defined in the environment or in in the
CUSTOMIZE file as containing `-std'.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>