Re: 960415: Bad test result under Ultrix

>From: address@hidden (Charles Packer)
>Subject: Bad test result under Ultrix

Hi Charles,

> I got these test results after building under Ultrix. I don't
> know what they mean, but it doesn't look good. I was able to
> link with the library, which is what I'm concerned with at the
> moment.

Are you using recent versions of netCDF, gcc, and Ultrix?  I just tried
netCDF 2.4.1 with the bundled cc compiler under Ultrix 4.5 on a DECstation,
and I couldn't reproduce the problem you report: everything worked fine.

Then I tried the same thing using gcc 2.5.4 (old, but the most recently-built
version of gcc I have for this particular platform) instead of cc.  Again,
"./configure; make all test" worked fine, passing all tests without an
error.

Are you running Ultrix on a VAX architecture rather than a RISC
architecture?  To make any progress on the problem, we'll need more
information about the platform and software you are using.

> By the way, I appreciate the clarity and conciseness of your
> INSTALL file, something that seems to be rare in the Unix world.

Thanks.  I'll pass on your kudos to Steve Emmerson, who wrote the INSTALL
file.

> - ------------------------------------------------------------
>

> *> make test
>
> making `test' in directory /usr/users/packer/netc/src/xdr
>
> gcc -c -O -I/usr/include/rpc   -std -Dconst= xdrtest.c
> gcc: unrecognized option `-std'
> gcc -o xdrtest -O xdrtest.o xdr.o xdrfloat.o xdrstdio.o xdrarray.o
> ./xdrtest > xdrtest_out.new
> diff xdrtest_out.new testout.sav
> *** XDR passes formatted test ***
> cmp test.xdr test_xdr.sav
> test.xdr test_xdr.sav differ: char 3477, line 1
> *** XDR fails binary test ***
> *** Error code 1

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu