Re: [Q] for ADISS

> Subject: [Q] for ADISS
> From: Toshinobu Hondo <address@hidden>

Hi Dr. Toshinobu Hondo,

> I'm developping laboratory data system for a chromatography with
> netCDF.  However, I can't find latest information concerning ANDI from
> ADISS project or data structure for the chromatography.  I'm
> developping depen on the information of the paper of 1994's.
>
> If you have any informtion for this, such as e-mail, ftp, wab, gopher,
> please let me know.

I can't find any on-line information that's very recent on the ADISS
standard either.  My interactions about ADISS were with Dr. Rich Lysakowski,
email: <address@hidden>, who has apparently changed jobs since he was
working on the ADISS standard.  He wrote a paper:

    Lysakowski, R. J. Chromatogr. Sci. 1994, 32, 236-42

which may be what you are working from.

While he was managing the development of the ADISS standards, there was
apparently a competing standard called "JCAMP-DX" (Joint Committee on Atomic
and Molecular Physical Data Exchange) that was also under development.  It
may be that the JCAMP standard has won more converts.

A paper by the main developer of JCAMP-DX comparing it to ADISS/netCDF was
presented at a recent meeting (FACSS Annual Conference October 15-20, 1995
Sabin Convention Center Cincinnati, Ohio)

    Comparison of Data Exchange Protocols: ADISS/NETCDF/CDL and
    JCAMP-DX/BDX. R.S. McDONALD, JCAMP

but I haven't seen the paper and don't know an e-mail address for Robert
MacDonald.  There was apparently an editorial on the two formats in

    ... the DEC 1994 issue of Applied Spectroscopy for JCAMP-DX for MS data
    and GC-MS data. The editorial has a discussion of netCDF format,
    approved by AIA, as contrasted to JCAMP-DX.

The only active project that I know of that has an on-line description
mentioning ADISS is described at

  http://eclipse.esa.lanl.gov/CAA/techbrief.3.html

but there's not much information about ADISS there.

> Just information is, I had been builded the netCDF 2.4.1 on Win95 with
> MSVC++ 4.0, and binary are placed into our server:
>
>       ftp.jasco.co.jp/pub/NetCDF/netcdf-2.4.1-Win32.tar.gz
>
> If you have a interest, please get it.

Yes, I'm very interested because other netCDF users keep asking about such a
port and we don't have a Windows NT platform on which to test the software.
I have successfully down-loaded the files

    netcdf-Win32.README
    netcdf-Win32.tar.gz
    netcdf-2.4.1-Win32.diff

from your FTP server, and I would like to refer others to them in our FAQ
document, or make local copies available in a directory on our server.
Please let me know if you would rather users always get these from you, or
if it would be OK for me to make copies available.

Thank you very much!

--Russ

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu