960416: Bad test result under Ultrix

Charles,

In the above message you wrote:

> Here is what the config.log looks like when compiler is the default "cc":

> This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
> running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
>
> ccom: Warning: (null), line 1: standard C not fully supported
> ccom: Warning: (null), line 1: standard C not fully supported
> ccom: Warning: /usr/include/stdio.h, line 185: "const" not yet implemented
>       extern FILE *     fopen( const char *__filename, const char *__type );
>       ------------------------------------^
> ccom: Warning: /usr/include/stdio.h, line 185: "const" not yet implemented
>       extern FILE *     fopen( const char *__filename, const char *__type );
>       ------------------------------------------------------------^
> ccom: Warning: /usr/include/stdio.h, line 186: "const" not yet implemented
>       extern int        fprintf( FILE *__stream, const char *__format, ... );
> .
> .
> .
>
> It's not clear to me here whether "not fully supported"
> means that your configure has sniffed out a deficiency in
> the Ultrix C compiler or that your configure is not fully
> supporting C...

It means that the C compiler is sub-standard.

Nothing in the above lines indicates why the `int' and `long' sizes
would be 0.  To determine that, we'd probably have to edit the configure
script and start manually compiling, linking, and executing the test
programs it creates.  Since you've already solved the problem of
building the package, this is probably more work than can be justified.

Feel free to contact me if you want to pursue this or if you have any
other questions.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>