20000118: silly GARP question

>From: weather <address@hidden>

>In looking further, I guess I am still confused.  I copied
>over my old Garp_defaults file to the new GARP/config directory.
>I copied the old fdf directory to the new GARP directory
>When I open GARP with the default ETA showing in the model
>window, it shows a list of times available(but still
>does not show anything under scalar or vector).  When I try
>to change models, it closes and dumps core (segmentation fault).
>
>Does my naming convention have to match yours that you use
>in the new fdf directory?
>
>I don't why this seems to be confusing, maybe lingering effects
>of being on the Ice for 45 days.
>
>Thanks,
>Robert

Robert,
The fdf entries in the 2.1 file were changed from the 2.02 version
(you'll notice that the default directory is no longer appended to
fdf search path since the software adds that automatically if a
matching key isn't found). Therefore, you can't simply use the 2.02
file with 2.1. You need to update the keys, proj's,
gareas etc in the 2.1 file- but use the structure of that file
(or make sure your 2.02 config file matches the directory locations
from 2.1).

2.02

< scalarfdf       : $(fdfdir)/scalar/default     # Plan view scalar FDFs
< vectorfdf       : $(fdfdir)/vector/default     # Plan view vector FDFs
< xsscalarfdf     : $(fdfdir)/xsscalar/default   # Cross section scalar FDFs
< xsvectorfdf     : $(fdfdir)/xsvector/default   # Cross section vector FDFs
< thscalarfdf   : $(fdfdir)/xtscalar/default   # Time/height scalar FDFs
< thvectorfdf   : $(fdfdir)/xtvector/default   # Time/height vector FDFs
< vpscalarfdf   : $(fdfdir)/vpscalar/default   # Vertical profile scalar FDFs
< vpvectorfdf   : $(fdfdir)/vpvector/default   # Vertical profile vector FDFs
---

2.1
> scalarfdf       : $(fdfdir)/scalar             # Plan view scalar FDFs
> vectorfdf       : $(fdfdir)/vector             # Plan view vector FDFs
> xsscalarfdf     : $(fdfdir)/xsscalar           # Cross section scalar FDFs
> xsvectorfdf     : $(fdfdir)/xsvector           # Cross section vector FDFs
> thscalarfdf   : $(fdfdir)/xtscalar           # Time/height scalar FDFs
> thvectorfdf   : $(fdfdir)/xtvector           # Time/height vector FDFs
> vpscalarfdf   : $(fdfdir)/vpscalar           # Vertical profile scalar FDFs
> vpvectorfdf   : $(fdfdir)/vpvector           # Vertical profile vector FDFs

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support