20000118: GARP software needed!

>From: Quanfu Fan <address@hidden>

>Dear Sir,
>
>We want to use GARP to display satellite data and some model outputs. I
>wonder if GARP is a free software for research community. If yes, could
>you let me know how to get it? In addition, is GEMPAK needed before GARP
>installation?  Thanks a lot for your consideration.
>
>Have a good day!
>
>Quanfu

>             Quanfu Fan
> Department of Hydrology and Water Resources
> The University of Arizona
> 308 Harshbarger Bldg.
> Tucson, AZ85721
>
> Tel: 520-621-3973
> Email: address@hidden

Quanfu,

Garp is a program developed by COMET to provide a gui interface to
the GEMPAK programs. All of the GEMPAK distribution is necessary
since Garp only serves as the user interface. Garp is distributed
inclusive to the Unidata GEMPAK distribution. All the software is free,
though we do have the University departments sign a license agreement
which states that the software will not be used for commercial
purposes- education and research only.

Currently, the Atmospheric Sciences department at U. Arizona is
licensed for GEMPAK (Steve Mullen is our primary contact there).

You may be able to work cooperatively with the Atmospheric Sciences
department which already uses GEMPAK fairly extensively. We would
assume in that case that they would provide your support. Otherwise,
we would pursue a separate licence for your department.

Steve Chiswell