19991228: gempak installation

>From: Raymond Tanabe <address@hidden>

Ray-

Steve Chiswell is out of town until next week, so I can't give you
a definitive answer on this.  As far as I know, he has not tried
compiling using the FORTRAN 90 compiler.  We do not support that
compiler.

>I want to install the latest version of Gempak 5.4 and have already
>downloaded the tar file from your ftp site.  The machine I want to
>install it on is a part of the University of Hawaii Dept. of Meteorology
>network system.
>
>The computer is an HP C200 workstation running hpux 10.20 and was just
>acquired earlier this year.  It does not have a previous version of
>Gempak installed.
>
>I already untarred the downloaded file and was going through online
>installation guide instructions when I noticed that the makefiles specify
>the f77 or fort77 command as the fortran compiler command.  Problem
>is...is that this computer came with fortran 90 preinstalled...so all of
>the fort77 and f77 commands won't work.

You could try changing the line:

FC     = fort77

in the Makeinc.hpux file $NAWIPS/config directory to whatever your
FORTRAN 90 executable is and see if that works.  You might have to
look up the flags for that compiler and set FOPT accordingly.  It may
be that there is a flag for the f90 compiler to act like an fort77
compiler.

Once you have made the mods, copy Makeinc.hpux to Makeinc.common.

>Is there any "simple" of solving this other than going through all of the
>makefiles and changing the fortran compile commands?  If the latter is
>the case, do you have a list of all the makefiles in which I would need
>to make these changes?  I have already searched through your online
>archives with no success.

That change should set the compiler macro for all the makefiles.  However,
I have no idea whether this compiler will work or not for GEMPAK.  We
do not have the FORTRAN 90 compiler on our HP box to even test this.

Don Murray