19991207: Thank you very much

>From: prof Betancour account2 <address@hidden>

>Hello, steve. This is Ka Kit. I successfully install the Gempak. Thank
>you very much for your help. But just one last "dumb" question, how can I
>run the Gempak program? Is that I can run the executable file inside
>$NAWIPS/bin/sol? Thank you one more time for you help.
>
>                                             Ka Kit Lai

Ka Kit,

When you source the Gemenviron file into your csh environment,
it adds the $NAWIPS/bin/sol directory to the end of your path.
All users on your system that wish to use Gempak should source
the Gemenviron file prior to running any Gempak programs.

With the Gempak executable path in your csh environment, you
can run the programs from your own work directory.
When you run Gempak programs, they will create two files in your working
directory (gemglb.nts and last.nts). These files maintain the
variable settings from one session to the next.

Gempak consists of over 60 separate programs, device drivers and
graphical user interface applications. The Gempak tutorial:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/
describes these programs.

The "ntl" launcher will allocate a shared color segment for the Gempak
applications, as well as provide a convenient point and click
interface for launching the graphical user interface programs.
The two points to remember when running Gempak programs are:
1) you should launch ntl before any color intensive applications,
   like netscape to insure you get all the colors needed. You can
   reduce the number of colors requested for example by launching
   "ntl -s 64" to request 64 colors for satellite images instead of
   the default 128 colors if you are short of available colors.

2) Remember to run gpend when finished with Gempak text interface programs.
   Gempak will launch device drivers (like xw) and the gplt navigation
   and plotting interface. Failure to run gpend will not shut down those
   processes. This is covered in the tutorial.

Also,  since you are running on solaris, you should have your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH environmental variable set to find your openwin and
motif libraries, eg:
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/openwin/lib:/usr/dt/lib

Steve Chiswell