19990119: gempak on x86

>From: "Frank Colby" <address@hidden>

>Steve,
>
>Thanks again for the pointer on the x86 distribution.  I found that it
>does indeed work, although I don't have any gempak files ready yet.  I'm
>working on that.
>
>What happens when things are patched as seems to happen from time to
>time?  Can I download a patch and just compile it, or are the patches
>precompiled for the various platforms?
>
>How does garp run from a secondary platform?  That is, I can run garp
>and gempak easily from the machine on which the software is installed.
>Can I log in from another machine and run garp or gempak, or must the
>gempak software be installed locally on each machine?  I was hoping that
>by using other machines running x windows that these machines could
>access the gempak and garp software on the server, but display things
>locally.  Is this possible?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Frank

Frank,

You can run gempak on one machine and display the results back to another
workstation.

To display your results to your remote X display, on your X86 host,
set the environmental variable DISPLAY to your remote machine, eg
setenv DISPLAY machine_name:0

(this is assuming you are running under a csh, and your remote machine
has an X server running on screen 0).

On your remote machine, you must allow the X86 host to connect to
its X server. Before trying to send a display back, on the remote machine
type:
xhost + server_machine

This xhost program tells the local X server to allow connections from
the server (X86) machine.

The xhost command is located under /usr/openwin/bin on Solaris platforms,
and under /usr/bin/X11 on many others, including OSF/1, SGI, AIX, etc.

The display which you are sending your gempak output to must be
running an 8 bit pseudocolor default visual.

Steve Chiswell