19990119: Query about satellite/model output overlay

James,

The only drivers that support radar/satellite imagery are the xw and
gf drivers. The nc and ps driver are not capable of displaying
images (proj=sat/rad). The image portion of the display is only
possible from the X server (which the xw and gf drivers use).

You can overlay the data using Garp, which of course isn't pregenerated
like the meta files. If you want to create a pregenerated loop
of model overlays on satellite images, you could use the gf driver
and then a package such as ImageMagick to create an animated
gif viewable in a web browser, or one of the java applets
that are widely available.

The projection of all images (radar and satellite) are those
which the image is defined on. GEMPAK is not capable of
reprojecting from satellite or the different radar projections
into another projection. Instead, all overlays in gempak
are onto the proj=sat/rad. Unfortunately, the Mercator
projection of the 2km mosaic is what is being created by WSI.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support