[CONDUIT #ILM-125352]: Change to data path on NCEPs conduit

Hi Carissa,

re:
> Around 1530z today I modified conduit3, the system out of the pool you are
> pulling 0.25 deg GFS from, to insert the data from a soft link. We have
> made a change to our backend storage system and the paths changed on the
> backend. But to keep the same file path that the conduit users expect I set
> it up to gribinsert with a soft link. Can you confirm that all is well with
> this setup?

I just ran an 'ldmadmin watch -f CONDUIT' on our machine that is REQUESTing
the expanded CONDUIT feed on:

downstream:  lead.unidata.ucar.edu
upstream     140.90.101.93

I see data flowing in, so it appears that all is well (I will keep an eye on
CONDUIT data volume to make sure of this).

re:
> I didn't find anywhere where this wouldn't work, and it appears
> to be fine watching the logs. I have only done the change to conduit3, if
> you give the okay I will apply it to the other 2.

The change appears to be OK.

Question:

- soft links are notorious for disappearing mysteriously (actually, they
  typically disappear when someone accidentally deletes them thinking
  that they are no longer needed)

  Are you going to setup a cron-based process that makes sure that
  the link stays in-place?

re:
> I did have a few minutes
> of transition where both old disk and new disk were sending data. That
> might explain any odd inserts you see around that time.

OK.

Thanks for the update!

On another note, did you see Art Person's request to have his new top
level IDD relay machines ALLOWed to feed from you guys?  If yes, have
the ALLOW(s) and firewall changes been implemented yet?  If no, I will
resend his request.

As a heads-up, UIllinois has purchased a new machine for handling
relay of the expanded CONDUIT feed.  Is there any chance this new
machine could be fed from conduit3 now?  We both would like for
them to be able to test out their new machine in advance of the
0.25 degree data being added to the "operational" feed.

Ticket ID: ILM-125352
Department: Support CONDUIT