[AWIPS #UAH-225027]: "Unfixable" Python Error with python-awips

Hi there,

> I am wanting to try to make a radar app, similar to RadarScope or RadarOmega
> using data from the EDEX servers
> like AWIPS CAVE does. But I instantly ran into a python error, and it
> doesn't seem to be fixable.
>
> My error was: "ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pwd'".
> But this module can't be found on PyPI (or installed with pip).
>
> From my research it seems this library is only for Unix operating systems
> like Linux and MacOS. Does this mean
> I need to develop on Linux and that I won't be able to have my software
> work on Windows? If not, what am I
> missing?
>
> Also, I installed "python-awips" version 20.1 from pip.

That sounds like a cool endeavor.  I believe you should be able to remove the
portion of python-awips that is
trying to use the 'pwd' package.

Find the WsId.py package here:
"C:\Users\Me\PycharmProjects\Playground\.venv\Lib\site-packages\dynamicserialize\dstypes\com\raytheon\uf\common\message\WsId.py"

Open it with a text editor and modify the following:

1. Comment or delete line 40:
#import pwd
2. Comment or delete lines 51 and 52:
#    if userName is None:
#       self.userName = pwd.getpwuid(os.getuid()).pw_name

Try re-running your python code and let me know if that gets you beyond the
previous failing point?
Thanks!

--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
NSF Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: UAH-225027
Department: Support AWIPS
NOTE: All email exchanges with NSF Unidata User Support are recorded in the
Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the
web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way,
you must let us know in each email you send to us.