[AWIPS #JEE-775274]: Loading on MacOS v20

Hi Matt,

Okay great, yes it is pointing to your base python installation. Since you have
anaconda installed, I'm assuming you also have other conda environments you
may use.

I think we should be able to install Python3.6 in the default location it
installs
from our CAVE instructions.  But, I won't have you run the
"Update Shell Profile.command" so your base environment doesn't change.  You
will
still have your anaconda install of python as your default.

Then I can give you a small script that will be used to launch CAVE (and it will
use the version of python that CAVE expects).

If you want to start this process, I need you to download and install Python3.6
from
this link:
https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.6.8/python-3.6.8-macosx10.9.pkg
Use all the default settings during the installation.  Note: This process will
require
Administrator privileges to install.

Once that is installed, let's try installing our additional python packages
from here:
https://downloads.unidata.ucar.edu/awips2/20.3.2/mac/awips-python-20.3.2-1-signed.pkg
Again, use the default installation options, and this also requires Admin
privileges.

And then finally download and install CAVE using this link:
https://downloads.unidata.ucar.edu/awips2/20.3.2/mac/awips-cave-20.3.2-0.2.dmg

You can either drag the CAVE icon to the "Applications" folder that is showing
with
the installer -- this will install it at the system /Applications location, and
be
available for all users on your computer and require Admin privileges.  Or you
can open
another finder, and install it at your home directory, usually I recommend
creating an
/Users/[your_user]/Applications directory there, and installing it in the local
user
Applications.  This just install CAVE for your local user.
Alternatively, you can also drag the CAVE icon to your desktop, and this will
install
it on your local user as well.

If you complete those steps, please run:
which python3

To confirm it is still the same.
And run
ls -l /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6

To confirm the other version of python is also now installed.

Then, reach back out to me, and let me know where you dragged and installed
CAVE icon.
With that information I can create a simple script that I'll give you and
you'll use it
to launch CAVE.

Thanks!

--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: JEE-775274
Department: Support AWIPS