Re: [galeon] The GALEON wiki and Use Cases

Ben & Roy-

thanks for kicking off the first scenarios. Now I have tried to exercise
my Wiki login, there is a new page containing your listings. It does not
reflect latest discussion, you probably will want to adapt this.

May I cordially invite everybody to feed this page!

-Peter

Ben Domenico wrote:
Roy,

For now, let's just say that I understand your animal track scenario
better now, but I'll put off an attempt to explain it in terms of my
use cases.

The more important issue that we agree on the starting point.  In
fact,  my use cases were intended to illustrate the main data types in
the CDM and CSML.  The one nuance that I've added is that we
explicitly consider collections of these data types.   We often serve
and request such space-time collections of point data, station data,
trajectory data, etc.  But, if you look at my use cases, I think
you'll see pure point data (lightning), station data, profiles, radar
radials, trajectories and gridded data.  (I left out swath, but a
representative swath case can be added.)  Those encompass most of the
data types in CSML and CDM.

I am convinced there are a lot of OGC people who very much want to
work with us on making such data collections available via standard
interfaces..  My use cases are an  attempt to get illustrate the types
of data we work with.  As I see it, the next important step is for us
to come up with CF conventions for these data types. Then my view is
that we can work within the OGC and ISO to establish these CF-netCDF
as standard encodings for coverages.   It won't all happen at once,
but the conceptual framework is there; what remains to be done is to
work to get each data type through the process -- one at a time if
necessary or in parallel if different groups work on different data types.

I think we are in basic agreement about the next steps.  Maybe a phone
call next week would be a better way to clarify our thoughts about a
plan for getting where we want to be in the longer term.