Re: [galeon] The GALEON wiki and Use Cases

Hi all,
I will put these onto the GALEON wiki as soon as I get a chance, but, in the
meantime, I've listed below a relatively concise set of use cases that I
believe capture the requirements for many of the different data types we
deal with in the metoceans (Fluid Earth Sciences?) community.

GALEON Use Cases for Various Data TypesBen Domenico

1. I want to be prudent.  Give me the strength, polarity and location of all
lightning strikes within 30 km of my home (or school, football pitch, golf
course, etc.) during the last hour?

2. I want to compare forecast temperatures with observed temperatures in the
region around Paris during August 2003.  Give me the weather forecast
temperatures and the measured temperatures at observing stations in the
region within 300 km of Paris during that severe heat event.

3. As it turns out, I need to assess how the temperature behaves as a
function of height during severe heat events, so please give me the balloon
sounding measurements in France during the August 2003 heat wave as well.

4. I want to compare rainfall forecasts from several models with volume scan
reflectivity measurements from nearby radars for the severe flooding event
of the Red River in April-May 1997.  Give me the rainfall forecast from
several forecast models and the 3D volume scan measurements from radars near
the Red River during those months.

5. To evaluate whether satellite observations correlate with radar
measurements and forecasts, please also give me the GOES visible, infrared,
and water vapor images in the Red River region during the severe flooding
event of 1997

6. I need to assess the evolving icing conditions near the Aspen airport.
Give me the meteorological measurements taken by onboard sensors for all
aircraft that have taken off and landed at Aspen during the last 3 hours.

Please note that it is very important to have clear and accurate
representations of the location and time information for the observed and
forecast data points in each of these data collections and it must be
delivered with the data in a form that does not require six months of
graduate student research to decipher for each dataset.