Re: [galeon] The GALEON wiki and Use Cases

Roy,
For now, let's just say that I understand your animal track scenario better
now, but I'll put off an attempt to explain it in terms of my use cases.

The more important issue that we agree on the starting point.  In fact,  my
use cases were intended to illustrate the main data types in the CDM and
CSML.  The one nuance that I've added is that we explicitly consider
collections of these data types.   We often serve and request such
space-time collections of point data, station data, trajectory data, etc.
But, if you look at my use cases, I think you'll see pure point data
(lightning), station data, profiles, radar radials, trajectories and gridded
data.  (I left out swath, but a representative swath case can be added.)
Those encompass most of the data types in CSML and CDM.

I am convinced there are a lot of OGC people who very much want to work with
us on making such data collections available via standard interfaces..  My
use cases are an  attempt to get illustrate the types of data we work with.
As I see it, the next important step is for us to come up with CF
conventions for these data types. Then my view is that we can work within
the OGC and ISO to establish these CF-netCDF as standard encodings for
coverages.   It won't all happen at once, but the conceptual framework is
there; what remains to be done is to work to get each data type through the
process -- one at a time if necessary or in parallel if different groups
work on different data types.

I think we are in basic agreement about the next steps.  Maybe a phone call
next week would be a better way to clarify our thoughts about a plan for
getting where we want to be in the longer term.

-- Ben

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 12:19 PM, Roy Mendelssohn