Re: [galeon] WCS CF-netCDF profile document

John-

John Caron wrote:
[...]

Bottom line, we could not find any format which all communities
uniformly are interested in, so we factored it out.

Yes i understand, seems core + extensions is the best shot. Although Id probably argue that one of the extensions may become dominant in the future, and become the de-facto "common format".

Absolutely,  communities will decide in the end.

As Dominic points out, making orthogonal extensions would be a help.

Going back to some previous subjects : "data not on regular grids" and "non-standard CRS". If the core does not provide adequate solutions to this for our community, is it possible that the "galeon extention(s)" can fix this without breaking the rules?

This is my great hope actually, and I am eager to learn more so that we
can find such an evolutionary path.

Similarly, could we create an asynchronous response in our extension?

Here the situation is a little different: async response is fundamental
to not only netcdf, but all formats (eg, the remote sensing community
wants it as well), and even different specs.
We therefore would rather put it into a dedicated position where all
stakeholders can benefit from it.

Appreciating this discussion!
-Peter