Re: [galeon] WCS CF-netCDF profile document

Hi Peter:

Peter Baumann wrote:
Hi all,

this discussion is very valuable to the WCS group, it certainly will
impact our discussions.

John Caron wrote:
There is still a hope that core + say, geotiff would be a good LCD
(lowest common denominator) to strive for

Interesting; actually one argument for us to avoid any format encoding
in the core was that other communities should not be bothered with
formats they are not interested in. Good to know that you folks like
Geotiff :-)

Well, we are familiar with it, and can write it out. Its really just a matter of doing
what the clients need. It doesnt really have time/vertical dimensions, or I think even
units, although Frank W. has proposed some "standards" that can be used.
AFAIKT, theres nobody in charge of it, not even an email group. So thats kind of fatal.

We think netcdf/CF is a better LCD, but we have to keep convincing clients.

Still, however, there is further communities. In future WCS is intended
to cover all the spatiotemporal dimensions equally, which includes any
subset of the xyzt axes. In particular: "time-only" coverages will be
supported, particularly having in mind the SWE community. (On a side
note, there will be a dedicated harmonization meeting at the next TC
meeting in Valencia where SWE's O&M and the WCS coverage model will talk
to each other, among others.)

Now environmental sensoring people might implement a WCS supporting 1-D
time series which never will offer 2-D coverages; IMHO we should not
force them into supporting Geotiff. Notably this is not only about
plugging in open-source libtiff. It concerns coordinate conversion,
interpolation, etc - in short: a hell of a lot of work, in their case
just for nothing.

Bottom line, we could not find any format which all communities
uniformly are interested in, so we factored it out.

Yes i understand, seems core + extensions is the best shot. Although Id probably argue that one of the extensions may become dominant in the future, and become the de-facto "common format".
As Dominic points out, making orthogonal extensions would be a help.

Going back to some previous subjects : "data not on regular grids" and "non-standard
CRS". If the core does not provide adequate solutions to this for our community, is it possible that the
"galeon extention(s)" can fix this without breaking the rules? Similarly, could we create an
asynchronous response in our extension?

thanks for your time,
John