[THREDDS #GIL-658582]: http 500 errors with wms service

Hi Patrick,

My guess is there is some issue validating your wmsConfig.xml file.
ThreddsWMSController tries to read that file and for validating it uses
a dtd that lives in
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/schemas/thredds/dtd/ncwms/wmsConfig.dtd and
that might cause the connection issues.
Can  you try the attached wmsConfig.xml, that has an internal dtd?

Cheers!

On 04/11/2013 11:36 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> New Ticket: http 500 errors with wms service
>
> Full Name: Patrick Hildreth
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 4.3 from war file
> Operating System: Linux  2.6.32-358.0.1.el6.x86_64
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: I am running a Thredds Data Server under Apache
> Tomcat/7.0.35. It was deployed from the war file directly. Everything works
> except for the wms service. When accessing a wms service link a 500 error is
> returned.
>
> In the tomcat localhost logs I am seeing erros like this:
>
> Apr 11, 2013 5:26:43 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
> SEVERE: StandardWrapper.Throwable
> with name 'wmsController' defined in ServletContext resource
> [/WEB-INF/wms-servlet.xml]: Invocation of init method fai
> led; nested exception is java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out
>
> The machine where this is failing had been pretty well locked down in terms
> of ports. I have a duplicate installation on 3 other machines who are more
> permissive and they all work without a hitch.
>
> The error suggests that I need to have a sysad open something up but it's not
> clear to me what that would be (if my premise is correct)
>
> Are there some specific ports/services that need to be opened for the wms to
> work?
>

> Ticket Details
> ===================
> Ticket ID: GIL-658582
> Department: Support THREDDS
> Link:
> https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/esupport/staff/index.php?_m=tickets&_a=viewticket&ticketid=21896

Ticket ID: GIL-658582
Department: Support THREDDS
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--
Detailed configuration of the WMS service.  This config file can be used to
set default styling parameters for each dataset/variable, and to enable or
disable
the GetFeatureInfo operation.

See
http://www.resc.reading.ac.uk/trac/myocean-tools/wiki/WmsDetailedConfiguration
for more information.
-->
<!DOCTYPE wmsConfig [

<!ELEMENT wmsConfig (global, overrides?)>

<!ELEMENT global (defaults, standardNames?)>

<!ELEMENT defaults (allowFeatureInfo, defaultColorScaleRange,
defaultPaletteName, defaultNumColorBands, logScaling, intervalTime)>

<!ELEMENT standardNames (standardName*)>

<!ELEMENT standardName (defaultColorScaleRange?, defaultPaletteName?,
defaultNumColorBands?, logScaling?, intervalTime?)>
<!ATTLIST standardName name CDATA #REQUIRED>
<!ATTLIST standardName units CDATA #REQUIRED>

<!ELEMENT overrides (datasetPath*)>

<!ELEMENT datasetPath (pathDefaults?, variables?)>
<!ATTLIST datasetPath pathSpec CDATA #REQUIRED>

<!ELEMENT pathDefaults (allowFeatureInfo?, defaultColorScaleRange?,
defaultPaletteName?, defaultNumColorBands?, logScaling?, intervalTime?)>

<!ELEMENT variables (variable*)>

<!ELEMENT variable (defaultColorScaleRange?, defaultPaletteName?,
defaultNumColorBands?, logScaling?, intervalTime?)>
<!ATTLIST variable id CDATA #REQUIRED>

<!ELEMENT allowFeatureInfo (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT defaultColorScaleRange (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT defaultPaletteName (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT defaultNumColorBands (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT logScaling (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT intervalTime (#PCDATA)> <!-- Allows to use time ranges instead of
lists in the capabilities documents -->
]>
<!--
Detailed configuration of the WMS service.  This config file can be used to
set default styling parameters for each dataset/variable, and to enable or
disable
the GetFeatureInfo operation.

See
http://www.resc.reading.ac.uk/trac/myocean-tools/wiki/WmsDetailedConfiguration
for more information.
--><wmsConfig>
    <global>
        <!-- These settings apply to all datasets unless overridden below -->

        <defaults>
            <!-- The global defaults. All elements are mandatory -->
            <allowFeatureInfo>true</allowFeatureInfo>
            <defaultColorScaleRange>-50 50</defaultColorScaleRange>
            <defaultPaletteName>rainbow</defaultPaletteName>
            <defaultNumColorBands>20</defaultNumColorBands>
            <logScaling>false</logScaling>
            <intervalTime>false</intervalTime>
        </defaults>

        <standardNames>
            <!-- Use this section to set defaults per standard name -->
            <!-- Units must come from the UDUNITS vocabulary -->
            <standardName name="sea_water_potential_temperature" units="K">
                <defaultColorScaleRange>268 308</defaultColorScaleRange>
            </standardName>
            <standardName name="sea_water_temperature" units="K">
                <defaultColorScaleRange>268 308</defaultColorScaleRange>
            </standardName>
            <standardName name="mass_concentration_of_chlorophyll_in_sea_water"
units="kg m-3">
                <logScaling>true</logScaling>
            </standardName>
            <!-- TODO: how about allowing "*fraction" to map to 0:1? -->
            <!-- TODO: how about allowing multiple standard names to map to the
same settings,
                 either through a glob expression or through a list? -->
        </standardNames>
    </global>

    <overrides>

        <datasetPath pathSpec="testAll/*eta_211.nc">
            <!-- Will apply to all paths that match the path spec above -->
            <pathDefaults>
                <!-- These will apply to all variables in this path unless
overridden below -->
                <allowFeatureInfo>false</allowFeatureInfo>
                <defaultPaletteName>occam</defaultPaletteName>
            </pathDefaults>

            <variables>
                <!-- Configure variables individually according to their
internal ID.
                     This is the most specific setting and will override any
others -->
                <variable id="Z_sfc">
                    <defaultColorScaleRange>10 20</defaultColorScaleRange>
                </variable>
            </variables>
        </datasetPath>

    </overrides>