[THREDDS #NOW-469434]: Error while installing THREDDS (TdsContext.init(): Content directory does not exist)

Hi Tyler,

Tyler Erickson wrote:
> I am attempting to install THREDDS on a Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop using Tomcat6
> (installed using the Ubuntu package manager).  When I attempt to install
> THREDDS by either adding a the *.war file to the Tomcat webapps directory
> (/var/lib/tomcat6/webapps/), or using the Tomcat Admin interface, I get
> the following error message. THREDDS seems assume there is a directory
> (/var/lib/tomcat6/content) that does not exist for Tomcat6 on Ubuntu.

The user that Tomcat is running as needs to be able to create, if it doesn't
exist, and write to the ${TOMCAT_HOME}/content directory.

If that isn't possible you can also change the location of the content
directory as described at the bottom of this page:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/tds4.2/reference/ConfigDirectory.html

Basically, run Tomcat with the following command-line option:

   -Dtds.content.root.path=/some/absolute/path

Hope that helps,

Ethan

> from /var/log/tomcat6/catalina.out
> (org.springframework.util.ClassUtils).
> TdsConfigContextListener.contextInitialized(): start.
> ERROR - TdsContext.init(): Content directory does not exist and could not be
> created [/var/lib/tomcat6/webapps/thredds/../../content/thredds].
> Jan 20, 2011 4:42:09 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
> SEVERE: Error listenerStart
> Jan 20, 2011 4:42:09 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
> SEVERE: Context [/thredds] startup failed due to previous errors
> Jan 20, 2011 4:42:09 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
> clearReferencesThreads
> SEVERE: The web application [/thredds] appears to have started a thread named
> [TdsScheduler_Worker-1] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to
> create a memory leak.
> Jan 20, 2011 4:42:09 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
> clearReferencesThreads
> SEVERE: The web application [/thredds] appears to have started a thread named
> [TdsScheduler_Worker-2] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to
> create a memory leak.
> Jan 20, 2011 4:42:09 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
> clearReferencesThreads
> SEVERE: The web application [/thredds] appears to have started a thread named
> [TdsScheduler_Worker-3] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to
> create a memory leak.
> Jan 20, 2011 4:42:09 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
> clearReferencesThreads
> SEVERE: The web application [/thredds] appears to have started a thread named
> [Timer-3] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory
> leak.
> Jan 20, 2011 4:42:09 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
> clearReferencesThreads
> SEVERE: The web application [/thredds] appears to have started a thread named
> [TdsScheduler_QuartzSchedulerThread] but has failed to stop it. This is very
> likely to create a memory leak.
> Jan 20, 2011 4:42:09 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
> clearThreadLocalMap
> SEVERE: The web application [/thredds] created a ThreadLocal with key of type
> [org.apache.log4j.helpers.ThreadLocalMap] (value address@hidden) and a value
> of type [java.util.Hashtable] (value [{startTime=1295566929296, ID=1}]) but
> failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. This is very likely
> to create a memory leak.

Ticket ID: NOW-469434
Department: Support THREDDS