Re: TDS Subsetting Service

sorry, that should have been:

<service name="subsetServer" serviceType="NetcdfSubset" base="/thredds/ncss/" />

Eric Nienhouse wrote:
Hi John,

I am experimenting with the TDS NetCDF Subsetting service and Community Climate Model NetCDF datafiles. I am aggregating these files for each variable in the dataset over time. The aggregations received via OpenDAP are working well with a variety of client tools (primarily the PMEL Ferret visualization tool and LAS server if you are familiar with these.)

When enabling the subsetting service on these aggregated datasets, a request to the subsetting service results in an internal error 500. The tomcat log with exception is included below.
Perhaps I have things misconfigured or the underlying netcdf data is not conforming to what is required for the subsetting service. Can I explicitly specify the required dates noted below in the catalog? Unfortunately, TDS is a new area for me, so I may be missing something entirely here. Also below is a snippet of the thredds catalog for this dataset.

The datasets I am working with are somewhat restricted, so I am writing you directly rather than the thredds email list. I would be happy to paraphrase the discussion to the group once resolved.

I can provide access to the source netcdf files or the tds server if necessary.

Thank you very much for you help with this.

Sincerely,

-Eric

Eric Nienhouse
CISL/NCAR
(303) 497-2474
address@hidden

--- Exception in Tomcat catalina.out log file:

2007-10-05T11:20:19.778 -0600 [ 30845][ 13] ERROR - org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/thredds].[NetcdfServer] - Servlet.service() for servlet NetcdfServer threw exception
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: File must have _CoordinateModelBaseDate or _CoordinateModelRunDate attribute
at ucar.nc2.dt.fmrc.ForecastModelRunInventory.<init>(ForecastModelRunInventory.java:115)

at ucar.nc2.dt.fmrc.ForecastModelRunInventory.open(ForecastModelRunInventory.java:970)

at thredds.servlet.NetcdfServlet.doGet(NetcdfServlet.java:155)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)

at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:432)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)

at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:869)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:664)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)

       at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

--- Thredds catalog snippet:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<catalog
   name="CCSM b30.004 Atm Proc Monthly"
   xmlns="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/namespaces/thredds/InvCatalog/v1.0";
   xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"; >

<service name="all" serviceType="Compound" base="">
<service name="DODS" serviceType="OpenDAP" base="/thredds/dodsC/" />
<service name="wcsServer" serviceType="WCS" base="/thredds/wcs/" />
<service name="subsetServer" serviceType="NetcdfServer" base="/thredds/ncServer/" />
</service>

<dataset name="CCSM b30.004 Atm Proc CLDHGH" ID="ucar.cgd.ccsm.b30.004.atm.proc.thredds.cldhgh" urlPa
th="ucar.cgd.ccsm.b30.004.atm.proc.thredds.cldhgh">
<serviceName>all</serviceName>
<netcdf xmlns="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/namespaces/netcdf/ncml-2.2";>
<aggregation dimName="time" type="joinExisting">
<scan location="/xserve/ccsm/csm/b30.004/atm/proc/tseries/monthly"
regExp=".*CLDHGH.0[0-4].*"
suffix=".nc" />
</aggregation>
</netcdf>