From: "Ken Keiser" <address@hidden>
To: "John Caron" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 2:08 PM
Subject: RE: New Catalog XML Draft

> This looks like a good attempt to handling the issue of multiple access
interfaces for the same dataset and it seems fairly straightforward to me.
One comment, I don't think OpenGIS is a service type.  Rather specific
OpenGIS services would be individual service  types - such as WMS, WCS, WFS,
etc.  The service type specification implies the resulting output of the
service and how to communicate with it.  In the same sense that specifying
type=DODS lets a DODS client know that it can then get data from the
described server, then type=WCS would let a WCS client know that the server
is compatible.

OpenGIS
> |  WSDL | Other) .
>   d.. allow multiple services per dataset: add <access> child element of
> dataset, where you list any number of services for that dataset, and add
> <serviceList> element so you can define a list of services. "serviceId"
now
> refers to either a service or a serviceList. Use a serviceList when the
same
> dataset urlPath can be appended onto all service bases.
>   e.. generalize <datasetDescRef> element to <metadataRef>, where
> "DatasetDesc" is one of several metadata types. proposed types:
(DatasetDesc