[python #UYP-411125]: Plotting mean wind velocities for northern hemisphere at 500mb

Hello!

Seems like you're headed in the right direction. You can accomplish your work
using either NetCDF4-python or xarray. NetCDF4-python will just take a NetCDF
file and give you NumPy arrays for you to run with on your own. xarray is based
on the NetCDF data model, still relies on NumPy, and allows you to keep your
data tied to its important coordinate and dimension information. You might find
that it a bit more user-friendly and plug-and-play with other projects in the
scientific Python ecosystem, or it might include helpful functionality for you
out-of-the-box. Some of MetPy's most advanced functionality is based on xarray!

I, personally, would focus my efforts on learning to use xarray and take
advantage of some of its advanced features. If you're already comfortable with
doing heavy lifting while relying only on NumPy arrays, you might not need it.
It's up to you!

All the best,

Drew

> I think I maybe need to look at xarrays (per Metpy Monday's) to answer some
> of this question.
>
> I still wonder if I should be focused on using NetCDF or xarray's going forth.

Ticket ID: UYP-411125
Department: Support Python