[python #TQC-984212]: Convert to grid data

Greetings!

For supporting literature, the docstring and web documentation for
`inverse_distance_to_grid` states:

"Values are assigned to the given grid using inverse distance weighting based
on either [Cressman1959] or [Barnes1964]. The Barnes implementation used here
based on [Koch1983]."

These are references to publications listed in the documentation:

https://unidata.github.io/MetPy/latest/api/references.html

MetPy does not have any functionality for interpolation, since that process is
extremely sensitive to what assumptions you are making.

Hope this helps,

Ryan

> Dear Sir,
>
> I am attaching a sample plot.
> Top panel using  function "interpolate_to_grid" by the cressman method.
> Bottom panel using  function "inverse_distance_to_grid" by the cressman
> method.
> Both methods give almost similar results , whereas
> "inverse_distance_to_grid" gives more accuracy at the edges.
> I have two query viz.,
> 1. Can you kindly provide me with any supporting literature or formula used
> in the function "inverse_distance_to_grid" or can you explain how weights
> are calculated here? It would be very helpful to me in writing the
> methodology, however I will cite the METPY module.
> 2. As in my figure at the very East and South , I don't have the data
> points. Are there any methods to extrapolate there, so that we can
> completely spatially cover the grids as per my MAP.

Ticket ID: TQC-984212
Department: Support Python