[NOAAPORT #ZLV-851048]: LDM misses data on NOAAPORT via satellite

Hi,

re:
> I am currently running LDM 6.13.11 on two different machines. I have one
> machine
> which is a Z820 with 16 cores (running a RAID 1) and the other machine is a
> Z400
> with 2 cores (running a single SATA drive). One of the items that I started
> ingesting
> was all of the NBM MOS data. Interesting thing that has come up is the Z820
> machine
> tends to miss a lot of the files in the stream and so the never are written
> to the
> drive. On the other hand the Z400 does not appear to miss a single file. I
> have
> looked at the setup of the ldm setups and they are setup identical.

Can you send us the LDM configuration files (as attachments) for both of your
machines so that we can review your setups?

re:
> I have both set
> to: net.ipv4.ipfrag_max_dist = 0 which I know is a variable that has messed
> me up
> in the past.

The other /etc/sysctl.conf configuration entry that is needed is
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter.
Here are the settings that we are using:

#
# Enable DVBS reception
#
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 2

#
# DVBS multicast fragment reassembly
#
net.ipv4.ipfrag_max_dist = 0

NB: if you find that you need to make a change, you will need to reboot
your machine for the change(s) to fully take effect (doing a
'sysctl -p' is _not_ sufficient).

re:
> The 16 core machine runs at about 15% on the cpu cycles and the 2 core
> machine is running at about 80% on the cpu cycles but is out performing the
> stronger
> machine.

Are you referring to the load average?

Are you running the 'ldmadmin addmetrics' action from the cron for your
LDM user?  Here is what we run to gather system performance metrics:

#
# LDM-6.8.1+ metrics gathering
#
* * * * * bin/ldmadmin addmetrics > /dev/null
0 0 1 * * bin/ldmadmin newmetrics > /dev/null

re:
> I am not sure of what else might be causing the stronger machine to miss
> data coming down the satellite stream.  I was writing to see if any of your
> expert
> advice could point me in the right direction of some other things to consider?

Questions:

- is there anything relevant in the LDM log file?

- how are you determining that one machine is missing products while
  the other is not

  This may sound like a ridiculous question, but we need to ask since we
  don't know anything about your setup.

Ticket ID: ZLV-851048
Department: Support NOAAPORT