[NOAAPORT #LVN-177572]: Mod for NOAAport component of LDM

Hi Dan,

I just sent you an email with an invitation to join Steve and I in
an Google Meet...

re:
> AWC was using NOAAPort ingest software developed within NWS for a long
> time. But when we upgraded to RH6 back in 2015, that software no longer
> worked. So I recommended going to LDM and noaaportIngester. I set up a
> server running LDM and getting NOAAPort data. We started getting data and
> the system has been far more stable than the previous ingest code we used.
>
> The problem quickly became duplicate products. The backup feed we have from
> the TOC had a slightly different product configuration and duplicate
> products were no longer duplicates. So we got 2 sets of METARs, TAFs,
> basically any text product we also got from the TOC.  I researched the
> difference and modified the productMaker code accordingly.  Here are the
> changes:
>
> 1) removed an extra space after the sequence number in the WMO header CCB.
> 2) changed the sequence number to "000" to match the TOC sequence number
> 3) put in a check to not add a CR-CR-LF on text products that already ended
> with CR-CR-LF.
>
> This meant that the text products were 4 bytes shorter but it allowed
> duplicates to be removed.
>
> I put in a request to see if this could be added to the LDM baseline back
> in 2015. At the time, Gregg had requested to do the same for their
> ingesters at SPC. So rather than propagating these changes on each upgrade
> of LDM, it would be nice to have it in the baseline.
>
> Back then the same issues came up surrounding IDD and downstream
> compatibility. I recommended making it a command line toggle or a
> preprocessor directive. Back then this was deemed as a one time local
> change. So it never made it into the baseline.
>
> I'm OK with propagating the changes. It only affects two lines of code.
> There has only been one upgrade of productMaker that made me search for the
> code to change. It's been pretty stable. This is why I haven't gone back to
> Unidata promoting the changes.
>
> But if other NWS sites are running into the same problem, maybe it makes
> sense to investigate this again?

My view is that is that a decision was made to modify the LDM to make
products look like the system that was reading from a socket.  It seems
to me that there would likely be a LOT less impact if the code that
reads from the socket were changed to make the products look like
the ones in NOAAPort.  What do you think?

Ticket ID: LVN-177572
Department: Support NOAAPORT