[Support #HDQ-517625]: Assistance requested for "Gap in packet sequence" log entries from noaaportIngester

Hi Gregg,

re:
> Correct, there is one SBN/NOAAPORT dish, with the output feeding a
> splitter, and it is my understanding there is an amplifier in front of the
> first splitter.

"the first splitter"?  This suggests that there is more than one
splitter; is this true?

re:
> The output on each splitter has a NOVRA connected to it.

"one each splitter" or on each output port on the one splitter?

I apologize for being a PIA, but I am really trying to fully
understand the setup there!

re:
> On the server with the Gap errors I'm inquiring about I'm using
> nplog_rotate.

OK, my bad.  I thought that I saw the file .scour in the listing
when I was really looking at scour.log.  My apologies!

re:
> On the SPC Operational AWIPS system (a standard installation) with ldm
> running on server cpsbn1/cpsbn2, the LDM is 6.12.14,

OK.  This is typical of a standard AWIPS installation.  We recommend
upgrading the LDM to a current release...

re:
> there is no ~ldm/util directory,

This directory is not created as part of an LDM installation, but
we have recommended having one for years.  One of the reasons for
having a ~ldm/util and/or ~ldm/decoders directory is so that users
NOT be tempted to add executables to the ~ldm/bin directory, and
the reason to never do this is that this directory is actually
a link to the bin directory in the LDM installation being used.

re:
> it doesn't appear the ldm user is running scour either, but the logs are
> handled by a "root" cronjob:

Yup, my bad; see above.

> -bash-4.2$ cd logs
> -bash-4.2$ ls -ltr
> total 2857692
> -rw-r-----. 1 root root          854 Jun 10 21:34 ldmcp
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha    338842 Jun 14 03:49 polarsat.log-20200614.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha   6915898 Jun 14 03:49 oconus.log-20200614.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha  22863506 Jun 14 03:49 nwstg2.log-20200614.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha   1955940 Jun 14 03:49 goes_add.log-20200614.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha  56141453 Jun 14 03:49 nwstg.log-20200614.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha 149441040 Jun 14 03:49 ldmd.log-20200614.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 ldm  fxalpha     48126 Jun 14 03:50 edexBridge.log.5.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha  22125540 Jun 15 03:18 nwstg2.log-20200615.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha    326960 Jun 15 03:18 polarsat.log-20200615.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha   6656695 Jun 15 03:19 oconus.log-20200615.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha  54393617 Jun 15 03:19 nwstg.log-20200615.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha 145304690 Jun 15 03:19 ldmd.log-20200615.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha   1881407 Jun 15 03:19 goes_add.log-20200615.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 ldm  fxalpha     46721 Jun 15 03:19 edexBridge.log.4.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha   6891059 Jun 16 03:34 oconus.log-20200616.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha    337280 Jun 16 03:34 polarsat.log-20200616.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha   1948561 Jun 16 03:34 goes_add.log-20200616.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha  54998377 Jun 16 03:35 nwstg.log-20200616.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha  22169090 Jun 16 03:35 nwstg2.log-20200616.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha 147877724 Jun 16 03:35 ldmd.log-20200616.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 ldm  fxalpha     47842 Jun 16 03:35 edexBridge.log.3.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha   6619542 Jun 17 03:29 oconus.log-20200617.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha  21950900 Jun 17 03:29 nwstg2.log-20200617.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha    333763 Jun 17 03:29 polarsat.log-20200617.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha  53781865 Jun 17 03:29 nwstg.log-20200617.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha 144371439 Jun 17 03:29 ldmd.log-20200617.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha   1927927 Jun 17 03:29 goes_add.log-20200617.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 ldm  fxalpha     46653 Jun 17 03:29 edexBridge.log.2.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha    329938 Jun 18 03:08 polarsat.log-20200618.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha  53836636 Jun 18 03:08 nwstg.log-20200618.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha   6460733 Jun 18 03:08 oconus.log-20200618.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha  22164102 Jun 18 03:08 nwstg2.log-20200618.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha 143532291 Jun 18 03:08 ldmd.log-20200618.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 root fxalpha   1924537 Jun 18 03:08 goes_add.log-20200618.gz
> -rw-rw----. 1 ldm  fxalpha     46491 Jun 18 03:08 edexBridge.log.1.gz
> -rw-r--r--. 1 ldm  fxalpha   2482323 Jun 18 18:02 scour.log
> [...]

Why are there edexbridge.log files?  Doesn't this indicate that AWIPS
EDEX is running on the machine?

re:
> The server where I'm running the noaaportIngester with the Gap errors is a
> completely different system,

I am getting confused.  Is the listing of log files on your machine
or was/is it for some other machine.  I am not really interested if
it is for another/other machines.

re:
> fed by a different NOVRA box, and the server
> in question is in the satellite farm hooked up directly to the NOVRA box.

I understand that.  That is why I commented that you (your system admin)
can and probably should change the setting in /etc/sysctl.conf to:

net.ipv4.ipfrag_max_dist = 0

re:
> The AWIPS server running LDM is in the server room and the NOVRA box is in
> the satellite farm and there are media-converters to fiber and back to
> ethernet.

This sounds like the same sort of setup as is in use at NOAA/GSL:
The coax from their single NOAAPort dish goes into a "blockhouse"
(brick building in their parking lot), is converted to digital,
sent via a fiberoptic link to the Skaggs building, converted back
into analog and then ** I think ** split and sent to multiple
Novra S300N receivers.  I am not sure about where the splitting is
being done, but it is done somewhere.  I have only had a glance at
the equipment in their "blockhouse", and that was several years ago,
so I can not be certain about their current setup.  I can say that
the two Novra S300N receivers that are in use in the Boulder WFO
are located in a rackmount in a machine room that is just off the
forecast office main area on top of the Skaggs building.  From what
I have been led to believe, the data ingest in the Boulder WFO
has been working well, or, at least, nobody that I have talked to
in GSL knows of any complaints.

re:
> I will try your suggestion on invoking noaaportIngester differently.  I
> don't have root so I'll need to ask one of the two sys admins to do the
> root steps.

Too bad.  Having to get another party involved will naturally slow
down the troubleshooting.  Oh well...

Just so you know, Steve and I are exchanging emails between ourselves
in which we have been discussing your situation...

Ticket ID: HDQ-517625
Department: Support NOAAPORT