[NOAAPORT #ZNX-891732]: 20181004: hardware recommendation for ingesting NOAAPort data?

Hi Amenda,

Sorry for dropping the ball on this one... I thought that there was
nothing more to add, but I now feel that some comments to things you
said in your reply are in order...

re:
> Thanks for your quick response and specs on your ingest systems. And I
> don't mind at all that you put this out on support-noaaport.
>
> I've embedded my answers to your questions below. Please let me know if you
> have further insights.

re:
> I see the "Gap in packet" messages in the noaaportIngester logs. We have
> another system (newer)  that is not showing as many of these messages, so
> my conclusion is that stream is at least better than what is getting into
> our older system.

Are both systems getting the UDP stream(s) from the Novra S300N receiver(s)
in the exact same way?

re:
> /sbin/ifconfig does not show any dropped packets. Does this make sense
> given the errors in the noaaportIngester logs?

Well, it should mean that there is not a problem with the Ethernet
interface being used to ingest the UDP stream from the Novra S300N
receiver.

Given our testing on less powerful (meaning older and slower) machines,
I would be surprised if your ingest machine was not fast enough to
correctly ingest the stream from the receiver.

re:
> I'll need to ask my SA for some of the info, but I do know  that it has the
> following:
> RHEL 6.10
> 6 processors
> 16 GB RAM
> ~500 GB disk

This should be more than enough of a machine to run a robust NOAAPort
ingest (IMHO).

re:
> Also, we run the ldm.pq out of a tmpfs partition in memory.

We do not do this as we have not found the need to do this.

re:
> C/N is 17.5 right now.

This is much different from what it used to be.  With this kind of C/N,
I wouldn't expect any problems in the receive system unless there is some
sort of local terrestrial interference source, but such a source would
effect all of your ingest machines.

Ticket ID: ZNX-891732
Department: Support NOAAPORT