[netCDF #MWR-635322]: netCDF-C 4.9.0 fails check on Mac Studio M1 Max

Hello,

I can confirm that the issue isn't related to the M1 Max chip; I've been
working on/testing an M1 (and recently, M1 Max) chip with no immediate issues.
My first thought is that perhaps there is an older version of the library
installed, that the tests are linking against instead of the recently-compiled
4.9.0?  That would be one thing that might explain this error you're seeing,
which also occurs on older versions of netCDF on ARM-based chips.

Can you go into the directory for one of the failed tests, and run the
following command?

    $ otool -L [compiled binary test]

That should tell us which library is being linked against, and will at least
help us confirm that it is the correct one.

Thanks!

-Ward

> Hello,
>
> I just had a large number (237) of failed tests in 'make check'
> installing 4.9.0 C-library on a new Mac Studio M1 Max (Monterey 12.4).
> For example, from nc_test/test_suite.log:
> *** testing nc_put_att_text ...
>   FAILURE at line 1277 of test_put.c: att. value read not that expected
> varid: 5, att_name: c, att_type: NC_CHAR, element number: 1 expect: 255,
> got: -1
>
>   ### 1 FAILURES TESTING nc_put_att_text! ###
>
> I'll be honest and admit I haven't checked to make sure this new
> architecture (configure decided it was "aarch64") is supported so this
> may be entirely my fault assuming that it was.  I've recently had some
> experience with trying to install a not-yet-ready-for-arm version of
> HDF4 that had some similar looking problems (and ended up abandoning it
> until they have a new release).  Hoping this won't be quite as bad as that.
>
> In case it helps:
> > gcc --version
> Apple clang version 13.1.6 (clang-1316.0.21.2.5)
> Target: arm64-apple-darwin21.5.0
> Thread model: posix
> InstalledDir: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin
>
> > gfortran --version
> GNU Fortran (Homebrew GCC 11.3.0_2) 11.3.0
>
> Happy to provide any other info that would assist, just not sure what
> else it would be yet.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Dave
>
> --
> Adjunct Associate Research Professor of Climatology
> Dept of Earth and Environmental Science
> New Mexico Tech, Socorro, NM 87801
>
> Affiliate Associate Professor
> Dept of Earth and Space Sciences
> 053 Johnson Hall
> University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195

Ticket ID: MWR-635322
Department: Support netCDF