[netCDFJava #PJR-849641]: Question about NetCDF Java Tool

Greetings!

I was able to to view the grid using toolsUI-5.3.3. When you first open the grid
viewer, the map will be blank. You will need to click on the little red alien
icon the Grid Viewer view in order to have the grid viewer to actually draw the
image. ToolsUI isn't the most friendly application, and is really geared towards
developers for debugging netCDF-Java and the THREDDS Data Server. It will work
for creating images, but it won't be the most friendly experience.

Another much more user friendly option would be to use Panoply from NASA:

https://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/panoply/

Have you use that application before?

Cheers!

Sean

> Hi Support Team,
>
> I was wondering if you could help me with this:
>
> I have some .nc files I need to visualise and I was hoping to use
> the NetCDF Java Tools in your website (
> https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/netcdf-java/)
> I downloaded both 'netcdfAll-5.3.3.jar' and 'toolsUI-5.3.3.jar', however I
> could not open 'netcdfAll-5.3.3.jar'.
> I managed to open the .nc file using 'toolsUI.jar' but I could only
> visualize the data fields and text of the .nc file. I could not display it
> as a map (it looks all dark as if the map was empty, see screenshot
> attached)
> The same .nc file can be displayed correctly in QGIS (this is where I could
> see the file contains values, see screenshot attached)
> So I'm assuming I may be doing something wrong (or missing a step somewhere)
>

> You can find one of the files I need to visualize here:
> http://thredds-gfnl.usc.es/thredds/catalog/GLOBALWTDFTP/monthlymeans/catalog.html?dataset=GLOBALWTDFTP/monthlymeans/AFRICA_WTD_monthlymeans.nc
>

> Not sure if this is relevant but I am using Windows 10.
>
> I look forward to hearing from you.
>
> Kind Regards,

Ticket ID: PJR-849641
Department: Support netCDF Java