[netCDF #JXD-401979]: order of data declarations in NCML / CDL

Hi Randy,

Sorry to have taken so long to respond to your question:
> I could have sworn I read it somewhere, but I couldn't find it now.
>
> Is there a recommended order to declare the variables/attributes for our CF
> compliant product files:

I don't know of any recommended order of declarations.  It certainly doesn't
matter
in terms of the netCDF APIs, which use handles from names rather than order to
access metadata and data.  However, if users use CDL to see what's in a netCDF
dataset, it would be good to put what's most important to users first, so they
don't
have to scroll through reams of CDL to determine whether a dataset contains the
information they're looking for.

> Here is what we have in a typical GOES-R product file ...
>
> (1)
> Dimensions for space and time of data
>
> (2)
> Other dimensions
>
> (3)
> Coordinate variables
>
> (4)
> Data variables
>
> (5)
> Quality flag variables
>
> (6)
> Attributes that are there to conform with Attribute Convention for Dataset
> Discovery
>
> (7)
> ISO required definitions for geographic product extent (sort of like global
> attributes)
>
> (8)
> Product level global variables that define statistics associated with the
> data variables
>
> (9)
> ISO required attributers that define the source, general characteristics, and
> provenance of the data in the product file
>

> What is the ideal ordering ?

That looks great to me.

--Russ

Ticket ID: JXD-401979