[netCDF #YVQ-214480]: Patch for Intel fortran on Mac OS

Dave,

> Well okay, that's better.  Now the argument "-Wl,-force_load" was in
> fact the central target of my original investigation.  If you are
> still having trouble with that, you could let me see your setup, and
> configure and make outputs, *including* capture of full console
> output.  I might be able to spot something for you.

OK, thanks, I'll send you something as soon as I have tried a few more
tests.  But I do have a few questions below about your patch.

 - Which libtool are you using, the Apple one in /usr/bin/libtool, or
   something you've installed from Macports or another package
   management system, e.g. libtool version 2.4 in /usr/local/bin?  The
   Apple libtool doesn't understand the
    -Wl,-force_load,../f90/.libs/libnetcdff90.a
   syntax, which is why it issues the error message
    /usr/bin/libtool: unknown option character `f' in: -force_load

  - Have you tried the libtool environment variable
    lt_cv_ld_force_load=no when running the configure script?  We've
    had some success with that for building on our local Mac OS X
    platform, but I don't know exactly when it works or doesn't.
    Here's a relevant comment about it from one of the libtool
    maintainers:
      http://osdir.com/ml/libtool-gnu/2011-01/msg00011.html
    and this contribution to macports edited the configure script to
    replace occurrentces of "lt_cv_ld_force_load=yes" with
    "lt_cv_ld_force_load=no" for g95 variants:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-changes/2011-July/063572.html

  - Have you corresponded with the libtool maintainers on your
    proposed fix, for example on the libtool-gnu mailing list?  Are
    they aware of the problem with Mac OS X?

For now, I think I'll just try to get a 4.1.3 build working on my Mac
laptop and worry about the fixes to the libtool.m4 or configure in
netcdf-fortran-4.2.1 after that ...

--Russ

Ticket ID: YVQ-214480
Department: Support netCDF