[netCDF #QHD-994079]: Strange Output From nc_inq_dim---Part 2

Tony,

> I think I see the progression.  Have a look:
>
> From the second gdb snippet function nc_inq_dim (in
> netcdf-4.1.1/libsrc4/nc4dim.c) calls nc3_inq_dim on line 235-236.
> In netcdf-4.1.1/libsrc/nctonc3.h, line 40 says: #define nc_inq_dim
> nc3_inq_dim
> Function nc_inq_dim (nc3_inq_dim) in netcdf-4.1.1/libsrc/dim.c line 405
> starts, as noted in the second gdb snippet.
> In dim.c/nc_inq_dim, function NC_check_id is called (line 411).  A
> function with this name is in file netcdf-4.1.1/libsrc/nc.c line 71.  A
> function with the same name is in hdf-4.2r1/mfhdf/libsrc/file.c line
> 43.  The function in hdf-4.2r1/mfhdf/libsrc/file.c is executed...I'm not
> sure why.

Aha!  Because you're using shared libraries, there is no multiple
definition of the same function name at link time.  Instead, the
first function that's found with the right name at execution time is
loaded and called.  If you're going to use both HDF4 and netCDF in
the same application, I believe you have to build HDF4 with the
-DHAVE_NETCDF compile flag, so that HDF4 functions with the same name
as netCDF functions get renamed to have an "SD_" prefix.

There is some discussion of this in the HDF4 INSTALL document:

   To use the HDF/MFHDF libraries(libdf.a, libmfhdf.a) with the
   original netCDF library(libnetcdf.a) the HDF/MFHDF distribution
   must be compiled with the option '-DHAVE_NETCDF'. This will rename
   the HDF version of the C-interface(ncxxx) of the netCDF API to
   sd_ncxxx to avoid clashing with the original netCDF API from
   libnetcdf.a. Currently there is no support for renaming the netCDF
   Fortran interface stubs. As such the HDF/MFHDF distribution must be
   compiled without fortran support. HDF Users can still access
   HDF/netCDF files through the SDxxx interface but not through the
   ncxxx interface unless the renamed interface is used(sd_ncxxx).

> On line 51 file.c prints on the screen "3 is not a valid cdfid".

So that error message did not come from the netCDF library, it came from
the HDF mfhdf library.

> Does this look to you like what is happening?  I don't know of a
> solution to this.  Is there one?

If you can rebuild the HDF4 library from source as instructed above, it
ought to work.

Also there was a note from the HDF Group help desk that may be relevant:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/netcdf/msg02412.html

--Russ

Ticket ID: QHD-994079
Department: Support netCDF