[netCDF #AMR-714212]: netcdf file size for limited vs unlimited

Oscar,

> I found a poor man's solution that seems to work:
>
> I don't know the exact dimension of the nc-file beforehand, but I can
> make a reasonable estimate of the maximum possible length of the file
> and I add some 10% to that just to be sure. Using now a dimension that
> is always a bit larger than the maximum record-length, I get nc-files
> with the same file-size as with exact-dimension information. The trade
> off, is that the processing time is a bit longer, but I much prefer that
> my files are half the size!
>
> Any objections to this procedure?

That seems like a fine and practical solution.

> PS I just received your mail comparing file-sizes for different
> netcdf-versions. Netcdf-4 is not very efficient in terms of disk usage!

It can be very efficient when using compression, which is not available
with the netCDF-3 classic format.  For example, some of the CMIP5 3D ocean
model fields are reduced by more than 50% in size when stored in netCDF-4
with compression.

--Russ

Ticket ID: AMR-714212
Department: Support netCDF